Job Responsibilities : Family Engagement Worker
Salary : $44,850–$48,750 a year
Company : Terra Centre
Location : Edmonton, AB CA
Mission: Empowering Teen Parents to Succeed
Vision: Teen Parent Families Thrive and Enrich our Community
Job ID: 22-015TERRA
As a non-profit organization that has been serving pregnant and parenting teens in Edmonton for 50 years Terra is recognized for its leadership innovation and collaboration. Annually more than 1000 young parents and their children benefit from a comprehensive range of services. Through the compassionate work of the staff we help parents and children to develop and reach their full potential by recognizing and responding to their unique and individual needs. Terra staff are guided by the Code of Honour which supports respects and celebrates our families and staff (https://terracentre.ca/what-is-terra/careers/). If you share our values and support our mission and vision please consider joining our team.
The Family Engagement Worker assists young moms and dads in their development of positive parenting skills to foster healthy parent child relationships. Through home visits and community outreach participants are supported to make healthy choices and to develop their capacity to effectively meet the needs of their children.
This is a full time (37.5 hours/week) with flexible hours to work 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday and some evening and occasional weekend based on the needs of families and staff and to support programming. The position will be working out of the Terra main office located at 10320-146 Street.
- Provide ongoing support to children and families through home visits telephone calls and other support strategies
- Foster relationship building with the agency partners and community resources
- Assist families to connect with community resources and build a strong connection with their community
- Plan organize and facilitate family meetings to reflect the needs and interests of families
- Work with families to identify priorities and develop action steps
- Advocate for families in crisis assisting with problem solving communication skills decision-making skills and goal planning to increase their confidence in meeting the needs of their children and family
- Identify community resources and contacts to continually enhance programming to meet both the needs of the families and the outcomes of the program
- Coordinate referrals and assessments to other community resources for families and seek opportunities for collaboration with community agencies
- Provide guidance and support as required to help participants build skills and confidence in problem solving
- Complete documentation including the progress on client goals.
- Compile monthly statistical information and collect outcomes measures data and completes evaluation activities as required
- Adhere to Terra’s policies and procedures and to the professional code of ethics of applicable professional associations
- Work to build an integrated service team and consult with the team as needed to ensure participant needs are addressed
- Participate in self-evaluation peer evaluation and volunteer and student evaluation
- Expand personal sensitivity and knowledge regarding different cultures
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Human Services Education or Special Education
- Experience providing outreach support services through home visitation
- Experience providing life skills coaching and training
- Experience working with low income and marginalized participants including people facing multiple barriers
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work with families from diverse cultural backgrounds and develop positive effective professional rapport and relationships with youth
- Knowledge of issues associated with people impacted by mental illness and substance abuse
- Knowledge of referral services and supports within the Edmonton community and/or the ability to research and connect with community resources
- Understanding and knowledge of the issues pregnant and parenting young people face
- A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle with 2 million liability insurance
- Current clear Drivers Abstract
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Current First Aid certificate
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check that are dated within 90 Days of the start date
Core Behavioral Competencies
Terra values are core to the organization. We strive to hire individuals who possess these behavioral competencies at all levels of the organization.
- Personal Leadership: Practices inclusion communicates openly and effectively demonstrates self-awareness
- Productive Relationships: Develops networks collaborates develops self and others
- Results Focus: Applies outcomes-based problem solving and systems thinking demonstrates evidence-informed decision making
- Service Excellence: Practices innovation facilitates a culture of learning demonstrates continuous improvement
- Program Planning; design plan coordinate facilitation of groups
- Finance; manage allocated financial resources for program delivery
- Communication skills; excellent both written and oral; evidenced in grant writing and reporting to funders
- Community Relations; well-developed engagement skills strong networking
Terra recognizes that it operates within a society and systems shaped by white supremacy and colonization and institutionalized discrimination and the exclusion exploitation and marginalization of Indigenous Black and people of color.
Terra strives to understand and be accountable for how white supremacy continues to impact its work at an organizational and systemic level and to address harm; implicit and explicit biases
Our intention is:
To build a foundation of awareness knowledge and skills to be an anti-racist organization. To respond to systemic racism that creates barriers and inequality in the workplace and in society. To be an organization that embeds the principles of equity and anti-oppression to everything it undertakes.
Our goal is to actively promote diversity equity and inclusion through an antiracism lens through policies processes and practices.
As a condition of employment all Terra employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 or regularly undergo COVID 19 testing before entering the workplace. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of their COVID 19 vaccination prior to commencement. If you are the successful applicant and cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected ground under human rights legislation you may request an accommodation that will be reviewed by Terra
Salary: The salary range for the position is $44 850 – $48 750/year.
As a learning organization Terra supports ongoing professional development among employees through formal training informal mentoring and personalized growth plans. Terra is continuing to grow our programming and there are anticipated opportunities for further professional growth within the agency.
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate found.