Job Responsibilities : (USA) Staff Software Engineer
Salary : $135000 per year
Company : Walmart
Location : Remote US
What you’ll do…
Walmart is hiring a remote (US only) staff software engineer. Come work with us!
About the Team
Edge Services (ES) is a team inside the Edge Foundation org. ES builds UIs APIs and tooling to help customers configure our infrastructure. Think of it like an internal Heroku dashboard or AWS Control Panel. Edge Foundation runs the HTTP infrastructure at Walmart and ES is essential to making that easy and reliable for the tens of thousands of Walmart software engineers that use our products. ES helps internal Walmart customers (developers and operations teams) use the Edge Foundation platform by creating stable intuitive APIs simple and safe UIs and clear documentation. ES is six software developers (you would make seven) and an engineering manager.
Edge Foundation is a remote organization with more than 80 people distributed all over the world. We collaborate heavily through chat (Slack) written documents and video when needed (Zoom). We value safety impact ownership and learning. We welcome diverse candidates and do not discriminate on gender race ethnicity orientation nationality age creed etc.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
If you have experience any of these it would be a nice plus:
- Load balancing HTTP proxies or DNS servers
- Salt Chef Puppet or other configuration management tools
You’ll make an impact by:
A staff software engineer on Edge Services thinks about technical problems and writes code and prose to solve them. Your primary output will be tools to make Walmart engineers’ lives easier. Here are some things you’ll do on the job:
- Add endpoints to our JSON API written in Golang
- Fix bugs
- Review code written by your teammates and give clear kind feedback
- Write design documents for new features you’re building
- Give feedback on design docs written by the team
- Build features and shepherd them out to production using feature flags
- Work with other engineers in Edge Foundation to understand new products so we can build APIs that control them
- Add metrics and monitoring to make our applications more reliable
We use Golang MySQL Docker Ansible SaltStack Consul Prometheus and a sprinkling of bash. You do not have to be an expert in these but you should be able to learn them if you aren’t already familiar.
- You have at least seven years of professional backend experience; you will mostly be working on servers
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills. Communicating with engineers is a part of the job. Since we’re a distributed team much of this communication is written. You should be able to write clearly
- You can write SQL
- You’re willing to dive in to unfamiliar things. Sometimes bugs or features require us to dig in to TCP/IP the DNS spec Active Directory Walmart’s logging infrastructure Linux system administration and more. You probably do not know all these things already but you should be able to pick them up on the job if needed.
- You’re comfortable working on a fully remote team.
Benefits & Perks:
Walmart pays competitively based on experience and location. Your compensation also includes significant annual cash bonuses stock grants (not options actual real money!) 4% 401k matching generous PTO policies 12 weeks of parental leave budget for training and education and a 10% discount at Walmart.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles experiences identities ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are?
Walmart is large – 2.3 million employees and hundreds of millions of customers. All those employees and customers need applications to help them shop and work. Edge Foundation is an organization inside Walmart Global Tech that builds smart networking infrastructure CDNs load balancers proxies DNS resolvers etc) to make sites faster and more reliable for customers and employees. Every HTTP request at Walmart goes through this infrastructure.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 4 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years’ experience in software engineering
850 Cherry Avenue San Bruno CA 94066-3031 United States of America