Job Responsibilities : Principal Software Engineer
Salary : $142000 per year
Company : Verizon – Cary, NC 27513•Remote
Location : Remote US
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology and the space to create within every role. Together we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing…
This role within the VNOE team includes planning and engineering of the Mobile Private Network (MPN) Customer Engineering Onboarding. The Mobile Private Network directly supports millions of enterprise wholesale and public safety customers across the nation. The Virtual Network Operations & Engineering (VNOE) principal software engineer will be responsible for the automation of onboarding services onto the Enterprise Wholesale and Public Safety Core. This position includes responsibilities such as researching identifying and engineering customer specific configurations of the associated gateway and transport customer designs at multiple locations and creating or increasing the scope of full end-to-end automated efforts. The individual must be detail-oriented think critically to solve issues in real-time and focus on the goal of automation and virtualization while maximizing customer uptime and minimizing impact. This role may be considered as part of the Department of Defense Skill Bridge Program.
This person will also be a leader within the VNOE Team working with external vendors and internal teams such as VHAP (IT) TP&D HQ Planning Product and NI to translate the high-level design into an end-to-end automated deployment and integration plans.
Most importantly you will be a contributor to the end-to-end automation of MPN Customer Onboarding using existing frameworks such as VHAP NSO and Itenital (Pronghorn) with end goals of zero touch provisioning high scalability and closed loop in mind.
- Engineer the MPN Customer Onboarding Automation to support the rollout of new environments including but not limited to 5GC (SMF/UPF).
- Develop and engineer automated workflows to support service automation and orchestration to enhance efficiency and achieve scale.
- Engineer and automate network changes to MPN infrastructure to facilitate deployment of new MPN service features that affect MPN Customer Onboarding Automation.
- Produce timely and accurate configurations and automated configuration models/workflows for MPN Customer Engineering that are in line with established designs.
- Technically lead the project rollout by coordinating with internal and external teams to set dates and drive changes into the network.
- Think critically and make technical and business decisions that drive progress forward while putting customer uptime first.
- Develops resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity.
- Focus on high availability resiliency security efficiency and operational supportability while meeting or exceeding the project schedule.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining results.
- Accountable for the project results summarizing the project status and documentation.
Where you’ll be working:
In this remote role you’ll work from home with occasional in-person trainings and meetings.
This role may be considered as part of the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of related work experience.
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Itential (Pronghorn) Cisco Network Services Orchestrator (NSO) Ansible Python.
- Experience in Python and Ansible development languages.
- Experience in building and maintaining APIs.
- Knowledge of 4G/5G Core.
- Knowledge of IMS and LTE call flows interfaces protocols and wireless technologies.
- Experience utilizing agile methodology with JIRA and supporting CI/CD tools.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Five or more years of related engineering experience for networking and wireless infrastructure products.
- Working knowledge of PGW ASR1K ASR9K.
- Linux/Unix operating system knowledge.
- Working knowledge of virtualized 3GPP Mobile Packet Core network and related components such as OpenStack and Load balancers.
- Solid understanding of IMS components and data network elements.
- Cisco (CCNA/CCNP) are a plus.
- Familiar with the Agile process Kanban boards and Jira.
- A proven track record of delivering large systems to a predefined schedule.
- Previous record of distilling highly complex technical solutions into business cases for leadership.
- Managed high expectations from multiple directions with the proven ability to focus team members on objectives.
- Excellent communications interpersonal organizational and problem-solving skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences including race color religion sex sexual orientation gender identity national origin age disability and Veteran status. At Verizon we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued connected and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g. for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.