Job Responsibilities : Underwriting Assistant
Salary : $52000 per year
Company : Brown & Brown Insurance
Location : Remote US
Orchid Underwriters Agency (Orchid), a member of the Brown & Brown National Programs family is seeking an Inspection Underwriter. The Inspection Underwriter is responsible for using analytical, technical, and communication skills to provide insurance solutions that help Orchid’s Carriers manage risks.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of underwriting strategies and will use internal and external data to make appropriate portfolio risk decisions. This person will effectively drive improved Carrier relationships and decrease risk exposure. This role can be performed in our Vero Beach, FL office or as a remote employee if not in commutable distance to one of our Florida offices.
In This Role You Will Have The Opportunity To
- Verify data in Orchid’s data management system.
- Make and support underwriting decisions through file preparation and documentation; ordering, reviewing, and following up on loss control inspections.
- Ensure underwriting quality, eligibility, and profitability through application of the appropriate level of underwriting analysis based on risk complexity to accept, modify, re-rate, and cancel accounts.
- Identify and take corrective action and/or collaborate with the appropriate area within the organization based on individual risk characteristics identified through agency reviews, Large Loss Analysis, risk control, etc.
- Manage diary system within Orchid’s data management system to ensure inspection reviews and inspection follow-ups are completed within carrier guidelines.
- Build and maintain relationships with customers by providing timely and accurate policy service, helping to answer questions and communicate adjustment determinations.
- Ensure adequate pricing through accuracy of information, proper classification and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophies.
- Responsible for insuring compliance with underwriting strategies and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain an understanding of products, services and solutions and initiate discussions with other business units as appropriate. Partner with agency producers and users to reconcile data and to determine impact on policy coverage and premiums. Answer and assist on calls to the underwriting queue or from within the company. Maintenance of Outlook Inspection Inbox. Provide superior customer service to a large group of agent partners.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as required.
The Successful Candidate Will Have The Following Skills
- Ability to engage effectively with vendors, negotiating high standards holding them to these standards.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on execution.
- Appetite for constant improvement/unafraid of change.
- Natural aptitude for accountability.
- Ability to effectively engage with all areas of the enterprise.
- Strong sense of value-added goals and experience orientation.
- Automation Platform Skills – Strong automation skills, including rating systems/platform, Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Valid state Insurance Licensing.
- Good technical multi-line underwriting skills; Good knowledge of Property/Casualty business and products.
- Analytical, Problem Solving & Decision Making manages own work; takes responsibility for decisions and actions; quantitative reasoning, critical thinking skills.
- Teamwork & Collaboration establishes strong relationships and networks within the Enterprise and externally.
- Communicates and Effectively Influences Others strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Good organization and Time Management Skills – Ability to manage multiple tasks; prioritize and work effectively in a fast paced, decision-oriented environment.
- Good Business and Financial Acumen: understands business objectives and responds to related issues; concerns; problems; can act in a decisive manner to achieve objectives.
What We Offer
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Competitive pay based on experience
- Paid Time Off
- Generous benefits package: health, dental, vision, 401(k), etc.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Who We Are
Orchid, a member of the Brown & Brown, Inc. National Programs segment, is a premier leader in program underwriting services and distribution in personal and commercial catastrophe property insurance. For more than two decades we have been the market of choice for brokers and capacity providers alike. Established in 1998, Orchid has recognized a long-term and sustained growth trajectory, and currently places approximately $300 million of annual premium. Headquartered in Vero Beach, Florida with additional offices in Tampa, Orchid designs, markets, underwrites and administers insurance policies on behalf of third-party carriers through an independent network of more than 7,100 experienced agents and brokers.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our team and seek diversity in our applicants.