Job Responsibilities : PUBLIC EDUCATION PROGRAM OFFICER
Salary : $1,468–$1,794 a week
Company : Ministry of the Solicitor General
Location : Toronto, ON CA
Do you have demonstrated experience in training public education and communications media development with a background in emergency management?
If so bring your versatile experience and knowledge to this unique role.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- research develop and implement emergency management public education and outreach products/initiatives/programs consistent with the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act in order to reduce Ontarians’ vulnerability to disasters and emergencies
- provide advice and assistance to ministries and communities on the development implementation and maintenance of their mandated public education programs
- develop educational/outreach strategies to reduce Ontarians’ vulnerability to disasters and emergencies
- lead the development of public education/outreach publications projects campaigns special events tours etc.
- evaluate and validate documents/programs to determine how well internal and external client program needs are being met
- ensure consistency with emergency management program standards and integrate results into continuous quality improvement
- represent EMO/coordinate EMO participation at major conferences/meetings/ events including making presentations to a variety of groups and officials
- chair subcommittees and working groups addressing public education/outreach issues (e.g. coordination of government public education messaging)
How do I qualify?
Communication Presentation and Interpersonal Skills:
- you have demonstrated verbal and written communications skills to prepare and deliver presentations briefings and develop a variety of written products
- you have strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills to act as a team member in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment and to lead working groups and consultations
- you have knowledge of Ontario Public Service strategic and tactical communications processes approvals and organization
- you have demonstrated ability to use computer software such as Word and PowerPoint as well as audio/visual technology
Emergency Management Expertise:
- you have knowledge of emergency preparedness and risk communication theories strategies trends issues programs related legislation and regulations
- you can gain knowledge and understanding of branch and unit operations and goals directions and priorities
- you have knowledge of current emergency management theories practices research issues and trends and relevant legislation and regulations Government programs and processes
- you understand the roles and responsibilities of external organizations such as Non-Government Organizations private industry the fire service police services Emergency Medical Services public works public health etc.
- you have knowledge of the structures and roles of various levels of government including municipal (upper tier lower tier single tier etc.) provincial and federal as well as understanding of internal government processes (e.g. legal processes/potential ramifications of actions)
Project Management and Program Development Experience:
- you have knowledge of project management principles and demonstrated experience leading and implementing multiple projects on time and on budget
- you have analytical research and evaluation skills to assess program needs synthesize related literature data and studies and develop programs appropriate for a diverse client group
Planning and Coordination Skills:
- you have demonstrated ability to plan and implement special/media events such as media launches expos conferences workshops
- you have knowledge of the design development implementation and evaluation of public education and risk communication programs
OPS Commitment to diversity inclusion accessibility and anti-racism: We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse anti-racist inclusive accessible merit-based respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities Indigenous Black and racialized individuals as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins sexual orientations gender identities and expressions.
OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the
OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity accessibility diversity and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s
Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- 1 Permanent 25 Morton Shulman Ave Toronto Toronto Region Criminal Record Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS) Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP) the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO) Talent Development Branch Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable the TSO with your written consent will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.