Job Responsibilities : copy editors and proofreaders
Salary : 54000 per Year
Company : Manning Publications
Location : Remote US
Manning Publications is seeking freelance copy editors and proofreaders who have a long and successful record of editing and proofing book-length manuscripts preferably STEM or other technical content. We pride ourselves on the fact that Manning books are carefully developed and edited. Our authors are experts in their respective fields – many of them are also very good writers – but most of them need professional assistance in streamlining their texts and making them as clear and accessible as possible. That’s where you come in! If you are detail-oriented and would enjoy working for a company that sets very high standards of excellence this job may be for you.
- Edit book-length technical manuscripts for accuracy in grammar and content.
- Edit copy to improve clarity and ensure content accessibility for the target audience.
- Verify terms sources and URLs using standard reference resources.
- Manage communication schedule and processing of edits and rounds of proof with author and project manager.
- 1-3 years of experience as copy editor in book publishing.
- Expertise with standard editorial concepts practices and procedures.
- Basic familiarity with technical and computer terms.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition.
- Ability to work with internal style guides and to create project-specific stylesheets as the project requires.
- Flexibility creativity and the ability to communicate well with team members and authors.
- Ability to work on tight schedules. Our books are time-sensitive and often require a rush schedule.
- 4–8 years of professional work experience preferably for a book publisher.
- 3–5 years of prior editorial experience in a technical environment.
- Superior organization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment yet be self-directed and proactive.
- Experience editing in MS Word required; experience editing in new authoring tools such as AsciiDoc Markdown and XML preferred but not required as long as you have the willingness to learn.
Applicants without significant experience editing book manuscripts (math hard science and/or computer technology) need not apply.
Please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com with Copy Editor/Proofreader in the subject line. This is a freelance remote work opportunity.