Job Responsibilities : MAIL HANDLER ASSISTANT
Salary : $17.32 an hour
Company : United States Postal Service
Location : New York, NY
1. Unloads mail from trucks. Separates all mail received from trucks and conveyors for dispatch to other conveying units
and separates and delivers mail for delivery to distribution areas.
2. Places empty sacks or pouches on racks labels them where prearranged or where racks are plainly marked dumps mail
from sacks cuts ties faces letter mail carries mail to distributors for processing places processed mail into sacks removes
filled sacks and pouches from racks and closes and locks sacks and pouches. Picks up sacks pouches and outside pieces
separates outgoing bulk mails for dispatch and loads mail onto trucks.
3. Handles and sacks empty equipment; inspects empty equipment for mail and restrings sacks.
4. Cancels stamps on parcel post operates cancelling machines and carries mail from cancelling machine to distribution
5. Assists in supply and slip rooms and operates copy machine and related office equipment.
no scheme knowledge; operate electric fork lifts; rewrap damaged parcels; weigh incoming sacks; clean and sweep work
Loads unloads and moves bulk mail and performs other duties incidental to the movement and processing of mail.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given above.
Applicants must successfully complete the Virtual Entry Assessment – MH (475).
Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Duties require arduous exertion involving lifting carrying prolonged standing walking pushing bending and reaching and
may involve the handling of heavy containers of mail and parcels weighing up to 70 pounds.