Job Responsibilities : Exhibition Coordinator
Salary : $46000 Per Year
Company : University of Toronto
Location : Mississauga, ON CA
Date Posted: 06/27/2022
Req ID: 25280
Faculty/Division: UofT Mississauga
Department: UTM: Visual Studies
Campus: University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)
Position Number: 00030223
The university’s second largest division U of T Mississauga has 17 academic departments and offers 156 programs in 92 areas of study. Home to approximately 15000 students and over 1000 faculty and staff the campus houses the Mississauga Academy of Medicine Centre for Medicinal Chemistry and Institute for Management and Innovation. With its distinctive interdisciplinary programs such as forensic sciences and biomedical communications U of T Mississauga offers a broad array of continuing education programs and professional masters programs. Established in 1967 the campus features award-winning architecture robust community partnerships and a dynamic student environment set amongst 225 acres along the Credit River in Mississauga.
The Blackwood is a contemporary art centre at the University of Toronto Mississauga dedicated to open public research. The Blackwood is committed to thinkingabout the gallery as a space for living ideas—for holding together research creation inquiry interaction and conversation. We present curated exhibitions featuring the work of local national and international professional artists in on-campus gallery spaces and off-site projects throughout the GTHA; support artistic research commissions and residencies; and foster transdisciplinary strategies for knowledge production and circulation via a robust publishing program. We cultivate cultures of learning provide mentorship and facilitate professional development.
Under general direction of the Director/Curator and general supervision of the Assistant Curator the incumbent is responsible for coordinating the exhibition program digital platforms work-study program and facilities of the Blackwood Gallery.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Acting as the first point of contact for general enquiries
- Analyzing and recommending strategies to develop targeted marketing campaigns
- Maintaining information on digital platforms collating and organizing data for various reports and editing content for grant applications.
- Coordinating the installation and de-installation ofexhibits and artwork
- Coordinating the schedule for program and event calendars
- Coordinating the recruitment process and training of work-study staff
- Developing and maintaining procedures for the administration of art collections.
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming.
- Master’s Degree in visual arts or acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years previous art gallery experience and knowledge of contemporary art.
- Experience in all areas of exhibition making in a non-profit gallery or museum context including scheduling shipping condition reporting design and determining necessary equipment fabrication and material needs.
- Experience with all technical aspects of exhibition production including but not limited to installation audio and video performance-based and live actions and new media.
- Experience in coordinating efforts of casual installation techniques and training students.
- Experience providing administrative support including coordinating logistics of events scheduling meetings maintaining information on digital platforms databases arranging meetings and minute taking.
- Experience compiling and archiving documentation press publicity and pertinent information on exhibitions and gallery programs.
- Advanced knowledge of technical and aesthetic dimension of exhibition making.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize analyze prioritize and make decisions through all aspects of project implementation from fabrication to installation.
- Excellent knowledge of physical handling of works of art in a diversity of media.
- Excellent communications (oral and written) skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Excel Word Photoshop In-Design Sketch-Up database programs desktop publishing).
- Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact diplomacy empathy sound judgment and discretion.
- Ability to navigate intellectually challenging materials (interdisciplinary research educational texts concepts).
- Experience coordinating community outreach programs.
- Capable of leading gallery tours and making presentations for diverse publics.
- Supervisory experience would be an asset.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
- Possess apositive attitude
- Team player
Closing Date: 07/25/2022 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 11 – $66989 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $85666. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Arts & Culture
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous Black racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities persons with disabilities and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.