Job Responsibilities : Library Technician
Salary : $33.05–$38.37 an hour
Company : Centennial College
Location : Remote CA
(This position is initially open to full time bargaining unit employees of the college)
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women Racialized Persons with Disabilities and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Reporting to the Manager Library Services the successful incumbent provides high quality Library & Learning Centre services as a primary point of contact for library users in person by phone and online (e.g. email virtual chat video conferencing platforms).
- Provides information services for Library users including quick and in-depth reference for students faculty staff and community borrowers; conducts reference interviews to determine user information needs and identify relevant information sources
- Locates information by conducting searches of the online catalogue and discovery layer specialized research databases and other internet sources
- Provides general library orientation and information literacy one-on-one to library users including demonstrating the use of library research tools services and software applications (e.g. learning management system MS Office and online booking systems)
- Performs circulation transactions using an automated integrated Library Services Platform including registering clients signing materials in and out placing holds collecting fines and payment for lost materials
- Facilitates the delivery of peer tutoring services; identifies peer tutoring requirements in each program area
- Recruits interviews and recommends peer tutors for hiring
- Assists individual students to identify their respective tutoring needs
- Prepares materials for cataloguing and processing
- Maintains files records statistics and lists
- Processes materials for the collection
- Conducts a variety of collection maintenance duties including shelving and shifting
- Promotes and markets the Library and Learning Centre services including participating in orientation days and service fairs creating and installing virtual and physical displays developing presentations print and online flyers/posters videos and social media posts
- Supports new library initiatives and services (e.g. e-Reserves makerspace and emerging technology copyright open educational resources archives and special collections)
- Participates on various Library Learning Centre College and external committees as assigned
- 2-year CAAT Library and Information Technician diploma required
- 4-year post-secondary degree or equivalent education and work experience an asset
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in a library in a public service environment performing duties such as: information literacy support including reference and information services in a variety of subject areas library orientation circulation and library support/technical services; experience working in the post-secondary or similiar work environment welcome
- Experience providing reference and information services using online and print reference sources
- Proven customer service skills including the ability to resolve difficult situations to reach mutually satisfactory conclusions
- Demonstrated oral and written English language communications skills
- Experience with electronic and online resources and emerging library technologies
- Computer proficiency (e.g. familiarity with Office 365 Microsoft Teams and video-conferencing platforms cloud-based tools and software)
- Experience knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment with students staff and faculty
- Embraces and is committed to diversity equity and inclusion practices and principles in the workplace
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by July 5 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0622-2107. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).