Job Responsibilities : eCommerce Services Management – Platform Engineer
Salary : $65000 per year
Company : Costco Wholesale
Location : Remote US
This is an environment unlike anything in the high-tech world and the secret of Costco’s success is its culture. The value Costco puts on its employees is well documented in articles from a variety of publishers including Bloomberg and Forbes. Our employees and our members come FIRST. Costco is well known for its generosity and community service and has won many awards for its philanthropy. The company joins with its employees to take an active role in volunteering by sponsoring many opportunities to help others. In 2018 Costco contributed over $39 million to organizations such as United Way and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
Costco IT is responsible for the technical future of Costco Wholesale the second largest retailer in the world with wholesale operations in twelve countries. Despite our size and explosive international expansion we continue to provide a family employee centric atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. As proof Costco consistently ranks in the top five of Forbes “America’s Best Employers”.
The eCommerce Services Management team is highly visible and critical to the success of our website business by enabling Costco’s current and future growth plans. This team works closely with external vendors and internal IT teams to establish drive and ensure that our service level objectives are met and effectively improve service uptime and performance.
The Infrastructure Analyst for eCommerce Services Management is responsible for implementing automating and maintaining the core elements of the eCommerce Services Management program. The Infrastructure Analyst will analyze systems and services ensuring optimum performance availability and scalability with an emphasis on internal and external API and componentized services hosted in a hybrid environment. The Infrastructure Analyst will be responsible for alerting evaluating troubleshooting resolving and reporting on API services that are hosted in local or remote network-based cloud products. Success in this role will require the individual to effectively work with vendors and internal IT teams to conduct investigations of business problems with automated systems solutions contributing to the evaluation and design of systems used throughout the IT solution set.
If you want to be a part of one of the BEST “to work for” companies in the world simply apply and let your career be reimagined.
- Defines manages and reports against Service Level Objectives and Indicators to ensure efficiency and reliability across all production systems.
- Collaborates with vendors to define SLAs and response times are precise and achievable factoring in all connections required to meet the overall SLO.
- Works closely with vendor support teams to coordinate resolution to system issues ensuring vendors meet Costco’s service levels and objectives as defined.
- Implements system strategies that ensure the scalability and the elasticity of the service infrastructure.
- Analyzes data from multiple angles that include network platform software API integration and database looking for trends that highlight problems or opportunities
- Leverages existing reporting and alerting through established monitoring tools to ingest 3rd party vendor data and ensure optimization. This includes ensuring internal monitoring tools integrate with vendor API’s.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of the applications and infrastructure within the eCommerce environment and how they impact member experience site performance stability and quality.
- Evaluates the impact of code on performance scalability and resiliency of the production infrastructure; coordinates upgrades patches and configuration changes as necessary.
- Partners with software engineers and technology leadership to understand operational strategy and then deliver against those expectations.
- Builds out engagement models to ensure processes are optimized around services management engagement with other teams and vendors.
- Develops monitoring alerting and reporting to allow for the identification of issues and trends which will be remediated by implementation of automation to recover from errors without manual intervention.
- Develops automation for the identification of issues and response to issues identified. Measurement and trending of issue and response will be critical.
- Implements and optimizes tooling for the Development and Ops teams to improve efficiency velocity and stability.
- Develops maintains and publishes services layer documentation ensuring it includes inventory process configuration and design documents.
- 8+ years’ experience provisioning and supporting complex production environments preferably in an eCommerce environment.
- 5+ years’ experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk Tivoli and Dynatrace.
- 3+ years’ experience focusing on API Management configuration and related interfaces.
- Deep understanding of integration and API concepts patterns and technologies.
- Strong understanding of commercial rest gateways with a focus on Apigee
- Experience in analyzing system performance data for performance characteristics identifying potential future problems.
- Experience with Cloud and on premise SRE Observability and Monitoring services and machine data technologies (Dynatrace Splunk).
- Strong understanding of OS fundamentals (AIX/ Linux/ Windows) with proven expertise in solving performance issues.
- Excellent understanding of scalability processes and technique to manage growth and performance of the systems.
- Experience with scripting frameworks and languages such as Bash or Powershell.
- Broad technical knowledge of enterprise compute platforms virtualization OS’s (Windows)
- Experience with networking technologies such as firewalls routers load balancers and proxies.
- Experience with application performance tuning monitoring testing and troubleshooting.
- Ability to collaborate with architecture database and application teams regarding all pre-production environments.
- Ability to explain complex solutions to an audience with a wide variety of technical skills and background.
- Ability to guide and mentor others through the design build and implementation phases of system deployments.
- Ability to discern performance impact across the full stack including web and mobile front end caching layers CDN and memory file system and relational databases.
- Ability to find the root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools.
- Detail-oriented and possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to analyze a situation for potential future problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as strong proven leadership/team building and personnel development skills.
- Innovative creative and extremely responsive with a strong sense of urgency.
- Responsible conscientious and possess a passion for excellence.
- Strong interpersonal skills able to work with people at all management levels.
- Works well under pressure and in a crisis situation.
- Exposure to virtual environment management such concepts and tools such as PowerVM and VMWare.
- Exposure to middleware technologies such as MQ Messaging Message Broker or equivalent.
- Cover Letter
California applicants please click here to review the Costco Applicant Privacy Notice.
Apart from any religious or disability considerations open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business. If hired you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization including but not limited to H1-B visas.