Job Responsibilities : Librarian, Open Educational Resources and Digital Projects
Salary : 17 per hour
Company : Centennial College
Location : Temporarily remote CA
Salary: As per Academic Collective Agreement
Note: Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic teaching and learning may be performed in a virtual environment. This position will have both virtual and on-campus responsibilities.
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women Racialized Persons with Disabilities and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Reporting to the Manager Library Services the Librarian – Open Educational Resources and Digital Projects works collaboratively with librarians faculty and the college community to strategically advance the use and development of open educational resources (OER) for teaching and learning. The Librarian will work with faculty members and students to lead the selection development and management of open digital projects that will enhance student research and learning and support the goals of the Library the Academic Plan and the College.
Open Educational Resources
- In partnership with the Centre for Faculty Development and Teaching Innovation (CFDTI) lead initiatives that advance the College’s vision for OER and support institutional goals for ZTC (Zero Textbook Cost) programs and courses
- Collaborate with academic and institutional leadership to build capacity for and guide the strategic development of OER through outreach and advocacy initiatives
- Actively offer support and training for faculty and staff related to the development and use of OER including the provision of synchronous and asynchronous instruction to guide library staff faculty and students in finding evaluating adopting adapting creating and disseminating open affordable accessible and inclusive educational resources
- Serve as a primary liaison for the College’s OER Lab and Incubator programs teaching core instructional components and collaborating with CFDTI OER project leads and other stakeholders to support faculty and staff in the creation adaptation and/or maintenance of OER
- In consultation with the Copyright Services Librarian provide guidance advice and training on copyright and open licensing specifically related to the development and use of OER and affordable course content
- Support the negotiation and/or facilitation of copyright permissions clearances and licenses for OER to ensure compliance with copyright and relevant licensing requirements including support for project teams in tracking and storing copyright permissions and related documents
- Collaborate with College stakeholders to develop institutional OER policies procedures and plans that support the strategic and systematic integration and maintenance of OER in the curriculum
- In partnership with the Scholarly Communications Librarian champion and build the Library’s institutional repository CORe as a site for OER access and dissemination
- Engage in the research of high quality OER to make available to the college community as additional teaching and learning resources
- Actively participate in partnerships and collaborative library and open education initiatives locally provincially or nationally
- Liaising with students faculty and librarians support open digital projects that enhance teaching research and/or experiential learning at the College
- Identify and prioritize collections for digitization available through the Library’s Archive and Special Collections
- Provide technical expertise and project management support in the creation and maintenance of digital collections on various platforms including CORe
- Investigate and recommend tools and technology to support the development of digital projects
- Provide training and oversight for staff and student workers on digitization tasks
Teaching and Library Services
- Liaise with faculty and actively seek opportunities to support their teaching and research activities
- Provide library instruction leading to information literacy in a variety of formats and settings
- Provide in-depth library research assistance to students and faculty in person and virtually
- Develop library collections in assigned subject areas selecting relevant resource materials in all formats.
- Employ best practices in instructional technology and library/information technologies in support of learning teaching and research
- Develop materials programs and collections to support equity and inclusion both in the curriculum and at the College more broadly
- Serve on library and college committees taskforces and working groups as appropriate
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Studies from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution
- Minimum of three years professional librarian experience
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the principles of open access open education and open licensing
- Demonstrated understanding of copyright as it relates to higher education
- Demonstrated understanding of technology trends and principles related to digital project management
- Experience creating online research guides instructional videos tutorials and/or other digital learning objects and instructional support materials
- Experience providing online hybrid hyflex and in-person instruction to support academic programming and/or instruction needs preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with the principles of inclusive teaching accessibility and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in the development and implementation of teaching and learning resources
- Possesses a strong service ethic and team orientation with experience working within diverse communities
- Embraces and is committed to diversity equity and inclusion practices and principles in the workplace
- Highly adaptable and effective in working independently and collaboratively in a rapidly changing environment including remotely
- Excellent relationship building and leadership skills
- Demonstrated communication (verbal written and presentation) skills and the ability to explain complex concepts to diverse users in individual and group settings
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to assessment and evaluation methodologies and activities
- Proven initiative and innovative thinking skills
- Instruction experience in an academic library and familiarity with the ACRL Framework
- Experience working with open content development tools (i.e. Pressbooks H5P etc.)
- Experience with digital project management
- Working knowledge of the variety of metadata standards used in digital collections like EAD MODS METS VRA Core and Dublin Core
- Familiarity with repository forms (i.e. Alma Digital Islandora etc.)
- Experience handling archives and special collections records
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by June 29 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0622-1118. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).