Job Responsibilities : ASL Interpreter
Salary : 20 per hour
Company : AMZN CAN Fulfillment Svcs, ULC
Location : Brampton, ON CA
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university or equivalent
- CASLI membership
- Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills
- 3 + years of related professional interpreting experience including VRI services with strong demonstrated experience interpreting in the all areas of business and/or warehouse environments
At Amazon we believe that every day is still day one. We are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there we need exceptionally talented bright and driven people. If you’d like to help the Disability Leave Services (DLS) team build a best-in-class professional services program to deliver leave of absence disability and accommodation services to Amazon employees applicants job seekers and candidates globally this is your chance to make history by joining our team. DLS Provides services 7 days a week 24 hours a day to assist employees as they go through qualifying life events.
The ASL Interpreter is a key member of our accommodation team providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants candidates and/or employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The interpreter assignments may include in-person services for group meetings or events as well as meetings with individual employees. Interpreter services may also be delivered via video conference. An Interpreter can be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days permanently or temporarily. The Interpreter is a subject matter expert in ASL interpretation services with the ability to offer consultation and collaborate across teams to solve complex problems in ASL language accommodations. Successful interpreters are highly skilled adept in responding to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. The Interpreter will be called upon to provide general dialogic interpretation including conversations of a sensitive nature such as performance management or review. In addition stage events highly technical meetings and recorded presentation or meeting-style circumstances are common. Interpretation in this role may also involve periods of standing and walking in a fast-paced environment with possible varied noise levels.
Key job responsibilities
- Expert knowledge in Canada interpreting industry standards of practice Code of Professional Conduct Deaf culture and an elastic linguistic range to match customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information including sensitive human resources situations
- Strong problem solving time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language
- Communicate well in both verbal and written English
- Provide interpreting services for Deaf Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings and roles
- Comfortable interpreting in video environment
- Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work. Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers
- Collaborate in a professional manner with multiple stakeholders
- Work effectively with minimal supervision
- Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines
- Ensure compliance with standard work code of professional conduct federal/state regulations and company policy
- Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments
- Consult coordinate and partner with our third-party administrator HR Safety Legal Payroll Benefits team members and other departments/systems as appropriate
- Perform outreach and training for ASL language access across geographic areas
- Work collaboratively and professionally with other interpreters during assignments
- Travels to various domestic locations to support meetings
- Flexibility in scheduling that will include evening and/or weekend work hours.
- Other duties as assigned
- Multilingual skills (French LSQ)
- AQILS and OTTIAQ Member
- CASLI Certification
- 5 years professional interpreting experience in a wide variety of environments including technical/software business and warehouse settings.
- Experience using tactile ASL and close visual interpretation for individuals who are Deaf-Blind
- Oral interpretation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on lip-reading
- Intermediate skills with MS Office tools such as Word Excel and Outlook · Exceptional customer service and communication skills both verbal and in writing
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race national origin gender gender identity sexual orientation disability age or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation please notify your Recruiter.