Job Responsibilities : Senior Director, Accounting Operations
Salary : $113000 Per Year
Company : The Salvation Army
Location : Remote CA
Educational requirements : Graduate
Mission Statement The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Core Values The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The Senior Director Accounting Operations (SDAO) is one of five senior advisors to the Territorial Financial Secretary and a member of the Finance Department’s senior management group each of whom has responsibility for oversight of several functional groups within the department’s organizational structure. The SDAO provides leadership over accounting operations in the department. The SDAO is responsible for the integrity of accounting records in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. They manage all revenue and disbursement processes in the Territory ensuring financial transactions are in compliance with regulatory requirements and within internal policy limits. The SDAO is responsible to administer and update policies and procedures related to accounting operations. The SDAO will be a member of the territorial budget team responsible for contributing to the development of the fiscal strategy budget estimates and proposals reviewing submissions and making recommendations to the Budget Committee. The successful candidate must be a self-motivated professional with extraordinary interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in working collaboratively and strongly influencing business and finance matters.
Provides strategic direction oversight and management of all accounts payable and revenue functions:
- Set the strategic direction for the accounting operations team.
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedural changes.
- Develop solutions to issues related to accounts payable or revenue processing implementing change with ministry units Divisional Headquarters (DHQ) Territorial Headquarters (THQ) the THQ finance team and external partners.
- Provide direction and input into human relations decisions about the hiring orientation training evaluation recognition disciplining and terminations in concert with territorial standards. Expected to consult with the ACFO concerning the engagement and termination of all staff.
- Consult and provide expert advice on various areas of expertise which may include but is not limited to financial policy financial management disbursements & accounting education & training budgets compensation & benefits taxation internal controls communications audits technology and donation fulfillment & legacies.
- Act as final approval authority for the release of cheques electronic funds and wire transfers ensuring all expenditures are properly approved by duly authorized persons represent valid expenditures of the organization in accordance with approved capital and operating budgets and have been properly accounted for.
- Follow up with management personnel concerning any unusual expenditures including payments that appear to represent a deviation from any organizational policies or a significant variance from approved budgets and bring any issues for which a reasonable explanation has not been obtained to the attention of the ACFO or in his absence the CFO.
- Develop and deliver training for functional areas throughout the territory.
Provides key finance expertise in the creation of finance standards and key business practices for the territory:
- Work with the ACFO to establish standards and best practices reflecting the economic and legal context and business environment.
- Assist with the development and delivery of policies and processes which consistently deliver best practice methodology.
- Provide input to new policies and procedures pertaining to the management of financial resources for the whole organization.
- Disseminate information on standards plans policies and processes through training and internal communication.
- Provide functional stewardship as a consultant and advisor to the organization maximizing efficient and cost-effective allocation of resources while meeting accepted standards.
- Prepare and/or review internal/external reports for various executive stakeholders.
- Responsible for ongoing review of practices processes and technology to identify opportunities for continued improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in the development management and monitoring of territorial wide projects to implement new systems legislative changes technology and processes.
- Ensure that key Army personnel at Territorial and Divisional Headquarters are kept apprised of significant issues.
- Work with the CFO and other senior members of staff in the development of budgetary estimates and projections for presentation to the territorial leadership and cooperate in the development of guidelines for divisional commanders and department heads to assist in the development of budget proposals.
Provides oversight of year-end audit internal audit preparation and reporting services related to accounts payable and revenue functions:
- Oversee year-end processes and liaises with external auditors to ensure that resources are provided in a timely manner.
- Oversee the monitoring of monthly financial statements communicating observations and recommendations to applicable mission partners.
- Responsible for the publication of accurate timely and relevant financial information to internal and external audiences including management donors regulatory agencies and government.
- Work with Finance senior management to ensure that the year-end financial statements are prepared in such a way as to best disclose the underlying financial position of the organization and its activities for the benefit of its stakeholders.
- Ensure that other personnel involved in recording financial information preparing stakeholder reports and other financial information are provided with adequate and comprehensive information to assist them in effectively fulfilling their obligations.
Provides advisory services to mission partners in regard to prudent financial management:
- Provides expert financial and business advice as issues arise from ministry units divisional headquarters and territorial headquarters departments.
- Provide financial management advice regarding cash flow target reserves and budgetary variance analysis.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of Master’s degree in a relevant specialized area.
- A combination of completion of an undergraduate university degree plus a Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation will be considered.
- At least seven (7) years of related accounting/business work experience including managerial budget management business management and extensive specialized experience within functional areas.
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills.
- Able to develop unique solutions to complex problems plan large projects and act independently under the broadest guidelines.
- Experience in the non-for-profit sector is an asset.
- An in-depth understanding of integrated cross-functional system environment.
- Exceptional knowledge of the key business processes associated with accounting and financial management.
- Excellent ability to read understand and modify complex text where accuracy is essential
- Proven experience in systems implementation.
- Proven experience in automated workflow environments and systems.
- Excellent accounting systems knowledge and working knowledge of cloud and web-based applications.
- Advanced level Excel skills.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Commitment to quality customer service.
- An “out of box” thinker with ability to work under minimal direction.
The Salvation Army will provide reasonable accommodation upon request. Please let us know if you have a need for any accommodation.