Job Responsibilities : Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis – Real Estate & Facilities Management
Salary : $91
Company : The City of Vancouver
Location : Remote CA
Educational requirements : Bachelor Degree
Requisition ID: 36375
Located on the traditional ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers BC’s Top Employers and Canada’s Greenest Employers the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability decolonization equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager of FP&A is a strategic finance partner for the Real Estate & Facilities Management (REFM) group. The REFM group includes Real Estate Services Facilities Operations Facilities Planning and Development and the Property Endowment Fund (PEF).The Manager will lead the budget quarterly and monthly reporting process timelines for operating and capital for all service groups within REFM. The manager will also be responsible for all financial planning and analysis and supports the strategic decision making within REFM. This includes understanding and analyzing the financial implications of decisions performance metrics service planning long-term financial planning including capital planning for REFM budgeting forecasting and management reporting.
REFM provides a complete range of real estate facilities planning development and management protective and environmental services for City-owned and City-leased property and building assets including lifecycle management functions and strategic long-term portfolio planning. The department’s portfolio includes approximately 1200 facilities and properties. REFM’s annual operating expenditure budget is approximately $40 million with an annual capital expenditure budget of approximately $125 million. The 2022 PEF operating budget includes balanced operating revenues and expenditures of approximately $25 million.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Business Partnership:
- Leads all aspects of financial planning and analysis for all service groups in REFM including the preparation of forecasting economic analysis financial modeling policy development
- Leads within a matrix structure the delivery of REFM’s capital and operating budget forecasting and analysis and monthly and quarterly reporting processes and other as required
- Plays a key role in the development of REFM Capital Plan performance measurement and metrics as well as service plans.
- Collaborates with city-wide FP&A to implement budget processes systems and business intelligence reporting as well as other continuous improvement inititiaves as required
- Prepares and reviews reports and presentations to Council and senior management leads priority ad-hoc financial analysis initiativesleads and reviews business cases and works with the business unit and financial strategies as well as providing data driven decision support
- Works closely with city-wide FP&A to develop or implement performance measurement including benchmark standards to applied across REFM
- Develops and maintains long-term financial models incorporating financial implications from city-wide FP&A and REFM service plans Council initiatives and other agencies as required
- Prepares and reviews reports and presentations to Council and senior management and leads priority ad-hoc financial analysis initiatives and business case reviews
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff including hiring performance evaluation coaching mentoring training and development
- Influences and advocates for optimal decision making within REFM with a City-wide view
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Budgeting Reporting Forecasting and Decision Support:
- Identify mitigation strategies for budget pressures and risk factors
- Develop and analyze business cases for proposed projects including cost benefit analysis to justify spending proposal and quantify impact on budgets and forecasts;
- Review and adhere to financial and administrative policies
- Collaborates with Procurement to ensure best practices for budgeting reporting and forecasting procurement spend and associated savings in REFM as well as direct role in REFM procurement process including review of bid committee analysis and attend the Bid Committee meeting when needed.
- Manage relationships with business units and external organizations
- Strategic financial advice and decision support
- Explain the long-term financial and value-for-money implications of department initiatives
- Link department strategies and City priorities to the budget
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Council Report Concurrences:
- Validates standing authority and policies as they relate to the council report
- Review council report for operational and strategic alignment with city objectives
- Validate financial implications and funding sources
- Review overall quality of report and make recommendations for improvements
Process improvement Projects:
- Identify process improvement opportunities
- Work with external parties where required
- Provide supporting role in projects and organizational and transformational initiatives where applicable
- Ad-hoc support on departmental deliverables where required
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor degree and a professional accounting designation (CPA CA CMA CGA) or MBA
- Minimum 8 years finance experience in budgeting financial analysis forecasting reporting and accounting
- Advanced financial systems experience preferably with integrated ERP and BI reporting environments
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing financial staff preferably in a large multi- unionized environment
- Extensive experience delivering strategic transformational and general process improvements including all aspects of project delivery from identification to implementation and handoff
- Experience supporting real estate and facilities organizations preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as they relate to local government including PSAB
- Ability to maintain professionalism objectivity confidentiality tact and diplomacy
- Foster a climate of transparency trust and respect within the division and in partnerships
- Ability to recognize and adapt to different presentation or meeting style/structures based on audience
- Offers insights based on an understanding of the business to influence change at tactical team and individual levels
- Strong leadership experience with the ability to influence at senior levels of an organization and influence within a matrix organization
- Excellent financial reporting and analytical skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to consistently produce accurate high quality presentations and analysis for executive audiences
- Ability to represent and serve the city at all levels as well as interact with customer and clients outside the organization
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Problem-solving and issue resolution skills in a complex business environment
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during not after the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Finance Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2022
Application Close: July 8 2022
At the City of Vancouver we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants people of colour all genders LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.